Mediation is perhaps the best known of the ADR options. Mike Wells is an Law Institute of Victoria accredited Mediator pursuant to National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS) guidelines, and is an registered Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner.
Mediation commences with an intake appointment whereby each party has a separate confidential opportunity to explain the background of their situation as well as describe where they would like to be at the end of the process. These types of appointments tend to be 1.5 hours’ duration.
Next, a Joint Mediation appointment usually occurs, and this most often takes up to 2 hours. Sometimes, a second appointment is also required.
Types of Mediation available
- Conflict between Employees in the Workplace
- Commercial and Land Disputes (i.e. Subdivisions, Extensions, Building Permits, Partnerships, etc.)
- Disputes between family members (i.e. contesting a Will)
- Neighbourhood issues (i.e. fencing / noise issues)
- Conflict between members of Professional Clubs and Not-For-Profit Organisations (i.e. Tribunal outcomes; disputes between parents and officials, etc.)